Saturday, September 29, 2007

Lecond Sife

The popularity of Sceond Lfie will grow, I feel, to the point where it will attract the same amount of press that WoW and Everquest once did. The latter two games attracted attention on Wall Street because of the massive profits they reaped. They attracted mainstream media attention, however, because people were beginning to die playing them. Secnod Lief is quickly becoming as widespread as WoW and Everquest once were, while being equally addictive.

It's fantastic that someone can become a literal millionaire playing an online game such as Seocnd Flie, but is it worth the 2 1/2 years of 70 hours per week of vegetation? Guys, think about how much hair you'd lose.

I remember being in an Internet "Cafe" in South Korea.** They sold Snickers bars, Coca-Cola, and Juice for 75 cents a pop. I talked with a guy who had been playing Everquest and Counter-Strike for 2 1/2 days straight. No sleep. They guy's eyes had blood vessels popping out. He acted like a zombie and said he'd only consumed Snickers bars and cans of Juice for every meal, for the previous 2 1/2 days. Keep in mind, they also have to pay for the time they spend on the computer. I imagine the cafe offers a "day pass," which is probably 50 bucks for 24 hours of play on your own private computer terminal.

I was very glad to hear about WoW instituting a "rest" policy by which your character is helped when he/she is not active. This encourages players to stop playing... but still, until the companies begin to limit online play to 4-6 hours per day, I'm not sold. Likewise, I refuse to purchase such games, especially considering that I'm a little familiar with the ridiculous markup of those games. What a rip! You get ripped at the Store, in your Life, and you might even DIE.

**For those of you who aren't techies, South Korea is one of the largest gaming server/internet hubs in the world. Online games require a great internet connection, and in SoKo, it's blazing. When I lived in Japan, I'd always play my online games on South Korean servers, and never on Chinese, or, heaven forbid, Japanese servers. They couldn't keep up.

And yes, I intentionally misspelled Secodn Lief everywhere in this post. It's one of many ways I rebel against the system. :P

No comments: