Sunday, November 11, 2007

Facebook Changing Politics...?

Is facebook going to revolutionize the face of politics in the United States?

I doubt it. All the side-bar facebook advertisements with politicians' faces on them in the world wouldn't sway me to vote one way or the other. For me, it's about fundamental beliefs and provocations...what their face looks like doesn't matter to me. I've long heard that the younger, college-age generation has the most power to sway elections. Why? Well, we can organize in mass to vote, we're more likely to want to vote because we believe it will make a difference, and our demographic has special voting habits (tendencies) that can exploit one party or the other.

In South Korea many politicians use Web 2.0 services, namely blogs, to help get their campaign and image out to the public. For that society, such a technique has a measurable impact. I believe that it's yet to be proven that political blogs have an impact here in the US.

As far as making other impacts goes, these two teens were able to raise several hundred thousand dollars for their campaign to support Darfur. Being invited to Capital Hill to speak definitely implies that your social networking efforts have had an impact on politics. However large or small, you've done something.

Web 2.0 efforts have the ability to revolution specific causes, and have an even greater chance of getting a huge outpouring of participation when the day comes when US citizens can vote in elections online. In my nine-thirty post, I discuss the pros and cons regarding online voting. It's something that I think the US should do. With current Web 2.0 technologies, a non-biased facebook ad encouraging me to vote would do a great job of reminding to perform my civic duty. By eliminating the need to physically travel someplace to vote, apathy will no longer be an excuse for political inactivism.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blog friend, thank you for coming to my blog at http://drink-taste-4u.blogspot.com/
i hope you enjoy that recipes and come to my blogging tips guidance at http://smart-blogging.blogspot.com/
i will be waiting you

Steph said...

Thanks for visiting, Mr/Ms. J. Wilson! And I'll be talking politics on my blog come 2008, though it won't be a "political blog" per se. Y'all come back now, ya hear?

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog. Your writings are so diversified!

-A fellow blogger

HopSkipJump said...

I agree that online voting would be fantastic... having said that, I hope to god that Facebook isn't the venue.

I was on Facebook for awhile... and within 4 months I had 350 'friends'... everyone from elementary school friends to university professors to my sister's husband's mother. Seriously.

After reading the disclaimers that people automatically check, agreeing to things they haven't read... I erased my profile. Creepy.

So I'm all for online voting... just not through privately owned sites.

Daniela Perez said...

I dont think facebook or social networking sites will revolutionize politics, but I do think it is an effective way to engage younger generations with politics. It is a way to indirectly get them involved with them and to get to know the candidates and their ideals.

I can't really speak for the United States because I don't know how it is here, but I do know that in my country this has been an effective way to get people to know the candidates.

mis_nomer said...

Hi, thanks for coming by!

Online voting would certainly be convenient, but gosh, the hacking possibilities... It is impossible to make it hack-proof I think, and to think that the fate of a country is at stake...

Have a good day!

Chad said...

I don't agree that the college age group is the one that will sway elections. I actually think that's rather in insult on the part of the politicians. They think they can sway that voting block like the wind. But as you say, it doesn't have to do with a face, it's about beliefs.

http://www.indignationsmonkeybars.com/

Kimberly said...

Nice blog. Thanks for visiting mine. I tend to agree with you that social networking won't revolutionize politics, but I think it offers an alternate way for voters to get to know the candidates, especially younger voters. In my opinion, anything that gets younger voters actively involved and engaged on the political front is a good thing. There is way too much apathy among that group.

Trangca said...

Thanks for visiting:
http://kimdang.blogspot.com
http://nhienca.blogspot.com
http://taolaothiende.blogspot.com
Hope you enjoy our blogs, all about friendship poems, music...
I like your blogs too. Have a great day everyone!! :)

Anonymous said...

Web 2.0 plus regional integretaion (the EU, Nafta) plus devolution (decentralizing government to smaller community levels like City Halls instead of Statehouses) could all work to flow power into the hands of the people. International cooperation on specific issues (eg., a living wage) across borders via the Web so likeminded folks can connect and affect real change in their own areas by learning what other folks are doing. Coaltion building would be easier for the average person.

Abu Saif al-Andalusi said...

It is a good and nice blog, a true idea lab. Mine is http://elbaluartedeoccidente.blogspot.com/ (in spanish)
Cheers
Luis

Sendyourlove said...

thanks for your visit
kisses

Drew said...

Thanks for reading my blog, I've done a bit of cross posting and a bit of follow up on this topic on my blog.

http://irving-rant.blogspot.com/2007/11/we-have-readers.html

Drew said...

Not sure if the whole URL showed up on the last comment.

http://irving-rant.blogspot.com/2007/11/we-have-readers.html

Priscila Chaverri R. said...

Thanks for the visit! I think that politicians are desperate to get younger-generations’ attention with whatever they can. The problem is that people usually buy whatever idea someone sells to them. I agree that what matter is not how they look but what they belief in.

I like a lot your post and it’s really good, it makes you wonder what will happen?! Sorry for my English…!

sereavarada said...

Thank you for your visit and for your comment!

Trinca said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trinca said...

Dear J. Wilson,

It was very nice the comment you left on my blog about sock's picture.
Have you understood anything? I'm for Portugal and it is a fact that your language isn’t an easy one.
I posted that particularly picture, because i wanted to take people attention about a campanhe for Lisbon homeless, we want to collect 5.000 socks till Christmas.

I hope you came back to my blog, and I promise to you, I will test a tool for translation.

Best Regard’s
El trinca!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.