Sunday, November 4, 2007

SPAM - Part 2

About a month ago I wrote a post highlighting how much I dislike receiving spam, and how large a problem spam really is. If you have 2 minutes 4 seconds, then watch this video that Google's spam-czars put together. It highlights ways that Google software engineers are able to filter out so much spam. From the chart on the original blog post, it looks like 67% of the e-mail that enters Google's servers is spam. But, look at how improving the Google spam-fighting algorithm has paid off over time! Hardly any spam actually makes it through the filter any more.

1 comment:

Murtuza said...

Oh spam. Everyone hates it, no one reads it, but people still send it. I'm glad to know that Google can filter out most of the spam, because my hotmail is horrible at blocking out spam.

I really wonder what spammers are thinking when they send out those mass e-mail. Do you think it is a good marketing strategy in any way?